Hello my wonderful students!!! Listen closely...are you listening??? This is your science teacher Ms. Yates. I know, I know. I just saw you a few hours ago. Remember the awesome reminders, updates, and fantasticness that I promised you?? It is here. Yep!! Right here. Remember to check it out daily. The rewards will be worth your time. Assignments that you forgot about or were absent for? Here!! Notes you may have missed?? Here too!!! Announcements?? Yep!! And, fantastic reminders of all the cool stuff we did today...All here and more!! See you tomorrow. Or Monday, if you are so awesome that you are reading this over the weekend.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Separation Challenge!!!

What physical separation techniques did you use to separate the sand, rock, salt, iron mixture? What challenges did you run into today? If you were to do this again, would you do anything differently? What other mixtures could you separate with the techniques that you used today? What solution did you make today?  What was the solute and solvent?

Separation Challenge Handout

10 comments:

  1. Hanna
    I learned that when you are separating dry mixtures, it is easier to use magnetism, and manual separation before you try to distil or filter the mixtures out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sammy

    This lab was fun. to seperate the iron we used a magnet. to separate the rocks we picked them out by hand. It teaches you alot about how to seperate mixtures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troy,
    Today i had a fun time. i learned how to separate. plus i got to boil water to get the salt down. i really had a great time on this expirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned about different physical separations and it was OK. :D

    ~Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole,
    I learned how to separate a mixture into its base components. I had loads of fun doing this with Riley. :) I hope we can do this again but with different materials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack
    I had fun doing the separation challenge. There were a lot of problems but we found a solution to many of them. I like labs where we decide how to solve a problem. they are more fun, challenging, and educational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jacob b
    iron fillings were so hard to get!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kyle
    The iron fillings were hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Riley:)

    I loved this lab!!!! It was so much fun!!! MY favorite part would probably be separating the iron out of the mixture (used a vocab. word). I would if the water is gone from the salt water, because it was a little chilly (I should know that from crew). Overall it was a great lab and a great experience;) P.S. I love Mrs. Yates!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In order to separate the given mixture, Camden and I needed to use the magnet, water, physical plucking and vaporization. The magnet isolated the iron. The salt dissolved in the water. The rocks were large enough to pluck out with our fingers. Overall, the main struggle was to hold down the desire to isolate more. However, I would not change this lab whatsoever and hope to do this again - perhaps with different materials.

    Andrew Eugenio

    ReplyDelete